Read my first feature at Noisey on the new crate diggin’: YouTube samples and MP3 blogs. Insights from Blockhead, Paul White, J-Zone, Small Professor, and Quelle Chris.
Zilla Rocca vs. Clams Casino
“On the Freak Beat”
Zilla Rocca & PremRock vs. Odd Nosdam
“Never Tell Them You’re a Rapper
“The Colored Water Fountain”
Zilla Rocca & Curly Castro vs. Zavala
“Blood on Blood Converse”
Big shouts to Warren Britt for the cinemas
For their latest episode of errant gunfire, Nocando and Jeff welcome Zilla Rocca, Curly Castro, and Prem Rock for a discussion on Philadelphia hip-hop, noir-rap, their “otherground collective” and the occasional reggaeton digression.
In addition, Nocando and Jeff talk about what they did for New Year’s and pour out a little hummus for James Avery of “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and Benjamin Curtis of The Secret Machines.
The first video (directed by Dave Hall) from Zilla Rocca’s blue tape Neo Noir is the Blakroc jux move “17 Days in VA”, a slice of life in the sticks when the getaway falls apart, the craft beer is lacking, and the thirst for the city starts making you batty.
As seen as Passion of the Weiss, the video finds the “Philly noir-rap originator slant[ing] in the shadows, sneaking behind graf-scarred walls and thickets that threaten to engulf him…[Zilla Rocca] continues to evolve into one of the most unique and best-writers in hip-hop.”
“17 Days in VA” is available on the limited pressing of Neo Noir on dark blue cassette (less than 50 available) along with an exclusive cocktail coaster for $8.
You can order Neo Noir on cassette, along with discounted t-shirts woven from the finest criminal cloths, at the online merch table via Three Dollar Pistol Music on bandcamp
That’s right – Wrecking Crew (Zilla Rocca & Curly Castro), PremRock, and DJ Halo will be flipping switches and eating fish tacos on a west coast run stretching from San Francisco to New Mexico and right back to Sin City where coolers go to thrive. The Roland Bishop Memorial Tour — if you want respect, you gotta EARN IT!
Premiering at Do Androids Dance, the introductory mix to Zilla Rocca’s newest champagne bath Neo Noir Mixtape, the first mixtape from the healthy criminal in 5 years available on cassette (limited pressing) starting October 29, 2013. This mix is a rabble rouser of knuckle busters that inspired the creative process behind Neo Noir Mixtape. All frosting, no cake. You can read the full interview here
1. Mr. Hill “Feeling Fine”
2. Silent Dust x Zilla Rocca “Massive”
3. Dabrye feat Guilty Simpson & Paradime “Special”
4. Elucid “Whirlwind Thru Cities”
5. Mexicans With Guns feat. Freddie Gibbs & Bun B “Highway to Hell”
6. Starkey feat Zilla Rocca “Drowning Venice (Airtight Refix)” EXCLUSIVE
7. CRS “Us Placers”
8. Dirty Beaches “Lord Knows Best”
9. Cotton Jones “Gotta Cheer Up”
10. The Beatnuts feat Tony Touch “Cocotaso”
11. Shabazz Palaces “Barksdale Corner”
12. Mos Def “White Drapes”
13. Starkey “Paradise (Rudi Zygadlo Remix)”
14. A$AP Rocky “Suddenly”
15. Flying Lotus feat Blu “GNG BNG (MeMix)”
16. Roc Marciano “Poltergeist”
17. Zilla Rocca vs. Javelin “2 Dollar Lunches feat Has-Lo” (TAKEN FROM NEO NOIR)
18. Why? “Against Me (Amp Live Remix)”
19. Green Lidget Position x Curly Castro “Teenager”
20. Dylan & Kitech feat Zilla Rocca x Elucid x Curly Castro “Philly Crime (Kitech’s Trip Hop Remix)” EXCLUSIVE
21. Four Tet “Angel Echoes”
22. Raekwon “Never Can Say Goodbye”